There’s a famous adage about the American justice system that goes: “it is better to allow 10 guilty people to go free than to convict one innocent person.” Based on this, revelations of prosecutorial and police misconduct and DNA evidence far too often reveal that it is not how the system actually works in many cases.
Even when the court officially recognizes that your imprisonment, conviction, or arrest was wrong, it’s slow to provide compensation. With no job prospects and in some cases, no family support, victims have no other option but to sue for compensation. To say that people in this position experience enormous financial hardships, would be an understatement.
This is where a lawsuit loan or pre-settlement funding in Los Angeles, CA can be a lifeline for the victim of wrongful imprisonment. These loans are actually cash advances against your future settlement.
You can meet all your current expenses with this funding while your lawyer fights to get justice for you. Legal funding is available for a wide range of wrongful imprisonment lawsuit cases, including wrongful conviction, false arrest, police brutality, and violation of civil rights.
Steps to Obtain a Lawsuit Loan in Los Angeles, CA
Unlike a typical mortgage loan, your employment history, credit score, and personal property play no role in securing the lawsuit funding. This is a type of non-recourse loan that utilizes your future settlement as collateral. That’s why reputable lawsuit funding companies like Direct Legal Funding are able to provide the advance within 24-48 hours.
Here’s how the process works:
- Step 1: Contact a Lawsuit Funding Company: Most lawsuit loan firms have a website or a toll-free phone number, making it easy to contact them. Expect to provide information like your lawyer’s contact details and general facts about your case.
- Step 2: The Company Will Contact Your Attorney: They will get in touch with your lawyer to learn more about your lawsuit. Make sure your lawyer responds to these requests from the lending company as quickly as possible.
- Step 3: Your Attorney Will Receive the Offer Agreement: You don’t need to do anything at this point, but we recommend reviewing this agreement with your lawyer.
- Step 4: You and Your Attorney will Sign this Agreement: Once you have reviewed the agreement with your lawyer, you both will need to sign and return it. This can be done electronically via DocuSign.
- Step 5: Get Your Cash Advance: After approval, you receive the cash within 24-48 hours.
State Law Regarding Lawsuit Loans in Los Angeles, CA
Lawsuit cash advances remain largely unregulated in California. To make sure you don’t fall into the trap of “hidden charges” or any other scams, it’s important to choose a reputable company that adheres to 100% transparency in its funding contracts.
According to the State Bar of California, attorneys are prohibited to fund their clients (plaintiffs) or provide a cash advance. But they can help you obtain a lawsuit loan from a lending company.
Statistics on Wrongful Imprisonment in California
The California Wrongful Convictions Project at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law has published some very upsetting data about wrongful convictions in the state. It is estimated that over the decades, hundreds of innocent people have been unjustifiably convicted of serious offenses like rape and murder in various parts of California, including Los Angeles.
In fact, several people have also been freed from death row in the state as a result of proven wrongful convictions. All these wrongful convictions not only led to innocent people spending time in prison, but they also cost taxpayers more than $129 million for settlement and compensation.
Average Time It Takes to Get a Lawsuit Loan in Los Angeles
You can get your application approved or rejected within 48 hours. If your application is successful, you can get the cash in your account in as little as 24 hours.
Factors that can Delay the Loan Approval Process
- Complexity of the Case: Cases of wrongful imprisonment or conviction are a bit trickier than, say, a car accident lawsuit. Since the lawsuit loan company will be taking all the risk, they will need to do their due diligence before giving you the advance. This can sometimes take a while.
- Ill-Prepared Attorney: If you don’t have an attorney, you will need to hire one otherwise lawsuit loan company in Los Angeles simply cannot approve your application. If you do have an attorney, it’s imperative that they are ready with all the relevant information, or it can lead to delays.
Factors that can Expedite the Approval Process
- Keeping your attorney informed about your plans to get a lawsuit loan can help your application get approved fast.
- Having your attorney information at hand when you complete the lawsuit loan application is also important.
- Keep all case-relevant information and documentation ready for submission for the verification process.
Common Causes of Wrongful Imprisonment in Los Angeles, CA
More often than not, the defendant in a wrongful imprisonment or wrongful arrest lawsuit is the government. But sometimes, it can also happen due to corporate greed and corrupt politicians. Based on research and our own experience, the most common causes of false imprisonment, conviction, and arrest are:
- Inadequate defense
- Official misconduct
- Forensic mistakes
- Eyewitness confusion
- False confessions
- Corporate greed
Hospitals and Medical Centers in Los Angeles
If during your time in police custody or prison, you sustained any injuries, you should visit a medical professional as soon as you get released. Here are some of the prominent hospitals in LA:
- PIH Health Good Samaritan Hospital
- Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital
- Los Angeles Community Hospital
- Dignity Health – California Hospital Medical Center
- Adventist Health White Memorial
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center
- Kindred Hospital Los Angeles
- Southern California Hospital at Hollywood
- East Los Angeles Doctors Hospital
- Los Angeles Surge Hospital
- LAC+USC Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center
Get a Cash Advance for Your Wrongful Imprisonment Lawsuit in Los Angeles
Direct Legal Funding provides quick and affordable lawsuit loans for false arrest, false detention, police brutality, and wrongful imprisonment lawsuits. If you have been a victim of abuse by the legal system, we will help you get the financial support you need to get your life back on track.
We know how harrowing it may seem when a system designed to protect you brutalizes you instead. Allow us to take care of your financial needs during this time while your attorney fights to get justice for you.
You can get your application approved and receive the cash within as little as 24 hours. Our interest rates are highly competitive as well. Apply now or contact us at 866-941-5588 for any queries. You can also send us a message here.